Saturday, August 29, 2009

#8 "Aladdin"

Stats: 1992. Starring Robin Williams, Scott Weinger. G. Animated

Background: Aladdin came out when I was in the sixth grade. It was only the third movie I’d ever seen in the theater—after Snow White and 101 Dalmatians (both special re-releases). I went with my friend Becky; afterward, her dad took us out to Dairy Queen for 25 cent ice cream cones. Aladdin immediately became my favorite Disney movie, and after we got it on video, I watched it repeatedly. When Disney released a special 2-disk dvd edition a few years ago, I put it at the top of my Christmas wish list!

I remember two controversies surrounding this movie: 1) Jasmine’s clothes were too immodest. 2) Aladdin supposedly says something like “Good teens take off your clothes.” I heard both of those in my conservative Christian community, and I was glad my parents didn’t pay much attention to that!

Reactions: While I can’t quote the entire movie as I could in the past, I still know it pretty well. I love the story; I love the music; I love the animation. The animation is what struck me on this viewing. We’re so used to seeing computer animated films; this movie is a great blend of traditional and computer animation. The Cave of Wonders escape scene is still thrilling; I’m sure it would have been spectacular on an IMAX screen!

I have the special edition dvd, and one of the special features is Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson singing “A Whole New World.” It’s sad, but it kinda makes me snicker now . . . similarly, I really enjoy their rendition of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside”!

Verdict: Keep!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...