Friday, March 26, 2010

#38 "Ella Enchanted"

Stats: 2004. Starring Anne Hathaway, Cary Elwes, Hugh Dancy. PG.

Background: I can’t remember when I first saw Ella Enchanted. Here’s what I do remember, though: we gave the dvd to my youngest sister for her birthday. One night, my macho male cousin (who was probably 15 or 16 at the time) came over, and we ended up watching Ella Enchanted. He laughed through the entire movie, though he’d later deny that he enjoyed watching “that girl movie.” At some point, I ended up with a copy of my own.

Plot: Cinderella meets Robin Hood meets … Hamlet? The plot is an amalgamation of many stories, though it probably bears most resemblance to Cinderella. When Ella of Frell is a baby, she is given a “gift” by Lucinda, a wayward fairy—Ella must always be obedient. (Sleeping Beauty, anyone?) After Ella’s mother dies, her father marries a woman who has two daughters. The woman and her daughters are horrible to Ella. (Cinderella) Hattie, the oldest, is the president of Prince Char’s fan club. Of course, Ella and Char meet, and Char is immediately taken with Ella, which causes more strife between Ella and Hattie. Char’s uncle Edgar took over the throne after Char’s father’s death … which, naturally, was Edgar’s doing. Though Char is to be crowned, Edgar plans to have Char murdered. (Hamlet!) Edgar also has a snake henchman … can we say Disney’s Robin Hood?

In the end, Ella finds the strength to break her curse, Edgar’s plot is exposed, and Char & Ella marry. Cue the closing group dance! (On the movie’s soundtrack, Jesse McCartney replaces Hugh Dancy for this number. WHY???)

Reaction: Ella Enchanted it a really fun movie. I enjoy it every time I watch it. What bothers me each time, though, is that dear, sweet Westley from The Princess Bride is the bad guy! And if you think he’s bad here, just wait until we get to Kiss the Girls! Seriously, has Cary Elwes played another sympathetic role since The Princess Bride? I certainly haven’t seen it if he has! (If he has, I want to know--so leave it in the comments, please!)

Verdict: Keep

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure this isn't what you meant, but Robin Hood-Men in Tights was after Princess Bride (though not by much). I found cary Elwes to be quite the positive character in that film. He also played a nice guy in Liar, Liar, though we were rooting against him because he was dating Jim Carrey's love interest.
    According to IMDB, he played the Macbeth character in 2002's Wish You Were Dead- that's at least a protagonist. He was also the voice of the Bard in the game The Bard's Tale, which I haven't played, but I hear is rather entertaining. IMDB also reports that he is going to play George Harrison in Yellow Submarine.
    IMDB also lists him as a voice on a couple of episodes of Pinky and the Brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Men in Tights! Forgot about that one! I did think about his character in Liar, Liar--you're right, he is a nice guy, just not a guy we root for. He also recently played a villain (though quite the entertaining one) on an episode of Psych.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another example of Cary Elwes being, if not the hero, a very good guy--Glory.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...