Tuesday, January 24, 2012

#68 "Anne of Avonlea"

Stats: 1987. Starring Megan Follows and Colleen Dewhurst. Not Rated. Based on the novels by L.M. Montgomery.

Background: I have loved Anne of Avonlea since I first saw it when it aired on PBS’s Wonderworks in the late ‘80s. At some point, I taped it, and I rewatched the final scene more times than I’d care to admit! (So many times, in fact, that the tape basically wore out.) Somehow, though I own dozens and dozens of movies, I never got Anne of Green Gables or Anne of Avonlea. Half of that problem was remedied last week, when I used a Barnes & Noble gift card from Christmas to buy Anne of Avonlea.

Plot: Anne Shirley is living at Green Gables with Marilla and teaching at Avonlea School when her world begins to change. Diana announces her engagement, Gil declares his feelings, and Anne is offered a position at a girls’ school in Kingsport. Believing she can never care for Gil as he cares for her, Anne decides to move to Kingsport—where she discovers a formidable enemy in the affluent Pringle family and a possible romance with the dashing Morgan Harris.

Reactions: This is still one of the greatest movies ever! It had been at least 3 years since I’d last seen Anne of Avonlea (or Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel as it’s called on my DVD), and this was the first time that I really understood the attraction between Anne and Morgan. Before, I always saw him as someone in the way of Anne & Gil’s happiness, but you know what? I think Anne and Morgan would have been happy together! Don’t get me wrong; I still love Gilbert, and I adore the way the movie ends … but I also think choosing Morgan would have been a valid choice. That said, the giddy teenager in me came out of hiding as the minutes ticked down to Gil's proposal on the bridge! (I guess that's what it was, though he never actually said the words, "Will you marry me?")

Verdict: Keep

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...