Sunday, August 9, 2009

#1 "8 Seconds"

Stats: 1994. Starring Luke Perry, Stephen Baldwin, Cynthia Geary. PG-13. Based on a true story.

Background: I first watched this movie with my friend Andrea and cousin Kate when I was in the 8th grade. Most girls my age probably watched it because of Luke Perry, but, being the sheltered child I was, I knew nothing about 90210! I’m pretty sure I haven’t watched it since, but I remember liking it, so when I saw it on sale on Amazon, I picked it up.

Reactions: First of all, I practically shouted at the TV “That’s Renee Zellweger!” when she came on the screen as Lane’s one-night stand. I’d also forgotten (or never realized) that Stephen Baldwin played Lane’s best friend Tuff.

8 Seconds is Lane Frost's story. He was a champion bull rider who killed by a bull after successfully riding him. The movie spends nearly as much time focusing on Lane's marriage as it does on his rodeoing.

My favorite part of the movie is when Lane is venting to his mother. His marriage is in shambles, thanks to cheating on both sides and Lane’s focus on himself and his bull riding. He’s a world champion, but he feels like he’ll never be good enough to win his dad’s approval. His mom takes him over to the shelves holding his dad’s rodeo trophies and asks him what he sees. Then she tells him that those trophies don’t matter anymore—trophies will fade, but he should “hold on to the things that will last.” This sets Lane on a journey back to his wife, and he finally confesses everything to her and asks for forgiveness.

The final scene, when Tuff wins the world championship and stays on the bull for an extra eight seconds in honor of Lane, is mesmerizing. Back in the eighth grade, I’m pretty sure I didn’t cry at this movie, but I sure did today!

Verdict: Keep

3 comments:

  1. First of all Becky, I LOVE this idea of yours to do this blog. Since I know you and I love a lot of the same movies, I'm excited to see what movies you have and what you think of them. :)

    On a side note....A little background on Lane Frost: The moment his life and marriage turned around was the moment he accepted Christ as his savior. His friends say that he was a totally changed person from that point on. It's so sad to have lost such a great guy, but good to know he is with our Father in heaven.

    Sarah S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard that Lane was a Christian but didn't know if it was true; thanks for the extra info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds good. i never saw it, but wouldn't mind watching it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...