Saturday, July 21, 2012

#78 "Fools Rush In"

Stats: 1997. Starring Matthew Perry & Salma Hayek. PG-13.

Background: In 1998, on a whim, I went home with a friend for the weekend. She scared me with her driving, we ate lots of KFC chicken, I met one of my current co-workers for the first time, and we watched movies: Air Force One (reviewed here), Dante’s Peak, and Fools Rush In. Fools Rush In was my favorite of the three, and about 10 years later, I picked it up on dvd.

Plot: When New Yorker Alex gets sent to Vegas to oversee the construction of a club, he meets Mexican American Isabel, and they have a one-night stand. Three months later, Isabel shows up again, announcing she’s pregnant, and on the spur of the moment, Alex marries her. But the blending of two cultures proves more difficult than either of them imagined, and their marriage is soon on the rocks. By the time their child is born, will they still be together?

Reactions: This is still one of my favorite rom-coms, and I’m pretty sure the reason is Matthew Perry. He’s definitely not your classic leading man, but he has this extreme likability. There’s also an extreme Chandler Bing-ness to his performance, but that’s okay, as Chandler was my favorite “friend.” Plus, Perry and Hayek have great chemistry, making this film enjoyable every time I see it.

Verdict: Keep

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...