Sunday, March 7, 2010

#37 "Double Jeopardy"

Stats: 1999. Starring Ashley Judd and Tommy Lee Jones. R.

Background: I first saw Double Jeopardy on television in the early 2000’s. Since then, I’ve caught bits and pieces on TV, but I never actually watched the dvd. I found Double Jeopardy packaged with Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider in Walmart’s $5 bin. As with Along Came a Spider, I forgot about this movie since it’s filed under “K” in my collection. About a month ago, I came across it and decided to watch it.

Reactions: Without a doubt, Double Jeopardy is an engaging story. When Libby’s husband Nick goes missing while they are sailing, she is charged with his murder and subsequently convicted. Her best friend agrees to raise her son while Libby is in prison; when the friend disappears, Libby discovers that Nick might not be as dead as she thought he was. After learning about double jeopardy, Libby devotes herself to physically preparing to confront Nick in the future; when she’s let out on parole, her quest begins.

While Double Jeopardy has the language problems that most R-rated films do, it’s otherwise pretty much PG-13 fare. However, there is one scene in the first ten minutes of the movie that I was completely unprepared for. Shortly after popping the movie into my dvd player, I went to the kitchen for a snack. When I came back to the TV, I walked into a pretty intense sex scene. Having only seen a network TV version before, I had no idea that would be there. A few years ago, I made the commitment to not own any movies with explicit sex scenes. So that makes my verdict easy …

Verdict: Sell (or throw away--I'm not sure if I'll keep the other two movies yet)

2 comments:

  1. yeah for getting rid of explicit movies! we did the same thing, though we never had anything too explicit to begin with.
    This has a pretty good plot though, I've only seen the TV version as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to get rid of explicit music, or quit listening to it on the radio too! Too many songs with horrible lyrics.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...