Tuesday, March 22, 2011

#46 "Breakfast at Tiffany's"

Stats: 1961. Starring Audrey Hepburn, George Peppard, Patricia Neal, Mickey Rooney. Not Rated. Based on the story by Truman Capote.

Background: In high school, my friend Dori and I loved Deep Blue Something’s “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” so we decided to watch the movie that inspired the song. Of course, we rented it on a night when we also rented four or five other movies, and by the time we got to Breakfast at Tiffany’s, we were too tired to watch it. I took it home with me with the intention of watching, but I never did. I think I may have kept it long enough for Dori to incur a late fee, too. Oops.

Last summer, my brother and sister-in-law gave me the movie for my birthday. I wanted to watch it; I just always wanted to watch something else more! Enter a sick day—I was spending the day on the couch anyway, so I decided to pop it in … and fell asleep about 30 minutes later. Two attempts (and another sick day) later, I made it all the way through.

Plot: Holly Golightly is a young party girl who relies on her dates for her income. She also earns money by visiting mobster Sally Tomato at Sing Sing once a week and then relaying a message about the “weather” to his lawyer. When unemployed writer (and kept man) Paul moves in upstairs, he and Holly strike up a friendship, which turns into something more. Then Holly’s ex-husband shows up, Paul becomes published, Holly learns terrible news about her brother, a wealthy Brazilian wants to move Holly to Rio, and Holly and Paul are arrested in connection with the Sally Tomato case. But, of course, it all ends well!

Reactions: The fact that it took multiple attempts to get through this movie should tell you something. I. Was. So. Bored. Even with the complicated plot, I just couldn't get into it. I did enjoy the music, though. Henry Mancini’s score is simply beautiful.

In the future, I think I’ll stick with this version.

Verdict: Keep … for now … since it was a gift …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...