Sunday, July 8, 2012

#77 "Deliver Us from Eva"

Stats: 2003. Starring LL Cool J, Gabrielle Union, Duane Martin, and Essence Atkins. R. Based on Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew.

Background: I distinctly remember watching the beginning of Deliver Us from Eva on cable a few years ago, but then I had to leave, and I never watched the rest of it. I found it at Walmart recently in a three-pack with Something New and The Best Man. I’d previously seen and liked Something New, and The Best Man turned out to be a bust, so I hoped that Deliver Us from Eva would at least be somewhere in between the two. Fortunately, it was.

Plot: Deliver Us from Eva is a loose retelling of Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew. Eva Dandridge (Union) is adored by her three sisters and loathed by their significant others, who believe she has too much influence over her sisters. The men decide that Ray (LL Cool J), the ultimate player, is the answer to their Eva problem. They hire him to woo Eva, convince her to move away with him, and then dump her. The problem? Ray actually falls for Eva, and she decides to turn down a promotion that would require her to move to Chicago because of Ray. If only the men would have left well enough alone …

Reactions: This is the kind of Shakespeare adaptation I love—do you hear me, Coriolanus? Sure, it’s a very loose adaptation (much looser than the Heath Ledger classic 10 Things I Hate About You, which I loved), but it’s also very enjoyable! This movie won’t change the world, but it’s a fun way to spend an evening.

Content Note: Deliver Us from Eva is rated R for “sex-related dialog.” Most of this comes during some crass beauty shop scenes—and frankly, I didn’t even understand half of the references. Otherwise, the language is strictly PG-13. If this movie were released today, it would probably carry a PG-13 rating instead of R.

Watch For: A scene after the end credits reveals that the male hair dresser has a secret ...

Verdict: Keep

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...