Saturday, November 26, 2011

#62 "A Christmas Romance"

Stats: 1994. Starring Olivia Newton-John & Gregory Harrison. TV-PG.

Background: I can’t believe I didn’t see this movie when it first aired. I couldn’t find what network it was on, but I’m guessing CBS, as it is similar in tone to A Holiday to Remember and Christmas in My Hometown (now renamed A Holiday for Love) which both aired on CBS in the mid-90’s. Two years ago (the last Christmas I had cable … oh, how I miss it during Christmas!), I caught this on ABC Family during a Christmas movie marathon. As I probably watched six other Christmas movies that same day, I didn’t remember too much about it. But then I found it in a Christmas six-pack for less than $10. Yes, please!

Plot: Julia (Newton-John) is a single mom living outside a mountain village. She has just lost her job and doesn’t know how she’s going to make ends meet. Brian (Harrison) is the manager of the city bank that holds the loan on her house, and he heads up the mountain two days before Christmas to threaten foreclosure as she has ignored her last payments. He has an accident and ends up concussed and snowed in with Julia’s family … and sparks begin to fly.

Reactions: Of all the Christmas movies I’ve watched in the last few weeks (and there have been many), this one is my favorite. Newton-John and Harrison have palpable chemistry, the girls who play the daughters (one of whom is Newton-John’s daughter) are endearing, and the story line is cute. It’s no more realistic than any other Christmas romance out there (especially the end), but we watch Christmas movies to escape reality, not confront it.

Verdict: Keep

P.S.: For now, anyway, you can watch it on Hulu. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...