Friday, November 18, 2011

#58 "The Christmas Shoes"

Stats: 2002. Starring Rob Lowe & Kimberly Williams-Paisley. Not Rated.

Background: Somehow, I managed to escape this movie until tonight. It probably has to do with the fact that, though I enjoy a good tearjerker every once in a while, I don’t want to be sad at Christmas. I did see a clip at a Newsong concert last year, and I think I may have teared up a bit (though I can't quite recall—that concert was more memorable for other reasons). I’ve been on a bit of a Christmas movie kick lately, and when I saw The Christmas Shoes packaged with its two sequels for less than $10 from Amazon, I couldn’t pass it up.

Plot: Robert (Lowe) is a busy attorney who can’t be bothered to spend time with his wife and daughter. Nathan is a young boy whose mother, Maggie (Williams-Paisley), is dying. On Christmas Eve, Nathan tries to buy a pair of pretty shoes for his mom to wear, but he doesn’t have enough money. Robert sees him, and when he hears Nathan’s story, he decides to help him, and, as my sister said, “His heart grew three sizes that day.”

Reactions: Oh, my goodness. Grab the tissues for this one! Had my sister not been at my house when I watched it, I probably would have broken down into actual sobs. As it was, the tears streamed down my face. The Christmas Shoes may be a TV movie, but it’s one that’s very well done. Just try to watch the scene where Maggie dances with her husband one last time without crying! This probably won’t be in my normal Christmas rotation, but it will certainly be a movie I keep in mind to watch when I need a good cry.

Verdict: Keep

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...