Friday, April 30, 2010

#40 "Emma"

Stats: 2009. Starring Romola Garai, Jonny Lee Miller, Michael Gambon. Not Rated.

Background: When PBS aired the new BBC adaptations of Jane Austen’s books in early 2009, I couldn’t have been happier. I loved each and every one, but I was slightly disappointed they didn’t have a new version of Emma. (They didn’t have a new version of Pride & Prejudice, either, but that was okay … I’m not sure they could possibly improve on the 1995 Colin Firth version!) So when I learned a new version of Emma was in the works, I couldn’t wait to watch it! To make things even better, I won a copy of the dvd from WGBH Boston in February!

Plot: The same as the other Emma: Emma Woodhouse loves nothing more than helping others fall in love. She has one successful match, which leads her to believe she knows much about love. However, when she tries to find a husband for her new friend Harriet Smith, she realizes she may not know as much as she thinks. And, of course, there’s Mr. Knightly, the man Emma loves—she just doesn’t realize it yet!

Reactions: In my opinion, there’s not a better adaptation of Emma out there. I’ve watched it twice now—once when it aired on PBS, and shortly after I got it on dvd. I’d be tempted to watch it again at this very moment if my sister hadn’t borrowed it. Clocking in at four hours, much more is included in this version. (Is it all included in the book? I have no idea … perhaps I should actually read the book someday!)

One thing I love about this movie is that it begins several years before Emma’s governess marries Mr. Weston (which is where the other movies begin), and the viewer is able to see Emma’s matchmaking skills in action. It also establishes the relationship between Emma and Knightly earlier. I could see hints of their affection for each other early on, even though they themselves couldn’t see it!

Romola Garai and Jonny Lee Miller have a ton of chemistry, and they are so fun to watch. Overall, this is an excellent production, and I highly recommend it!

Verdict: Do you really have to ask? Keep!

2 comments:

  1. haha! Hopefully it repeats on PBS so I can see it, mom and I just wanted the Gwenyth Paltrow one a couple months ago...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is by far the best. It's absolutely phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...