Wednesday, September 2, 2009

#12 "Armageddon"

Stats: 1998. Starring Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, Liv Tyler, Billy Bob Thornton. PG-13.

Background: I had absolutely no desire to see Armageddon when it was released. One day in the spring of 1999, I decided to watch a movie while the baby I was watching napped. Armageddon was the only one I could find without snooping in cabinets, so I watched it … and cried. That wouldn’t be a surprise today, but back then, I never, ever cried. I didn’t really think about Armageddon again until a few years later. My aunt had just died, and she had a ton of movies. My parents brought some home after they helped clean out her apartment, and Armageddon was one of them. I watched it again, loved it again, and decided to get it on dvd.

Reactions: Armageddon is my favorite disaster movie. Probably because, at its core, it’s not a disaster movie—it’s a chick flick! From the love story to the heartbreaking father-daughter scene to the Aerosmith power ballad, Armageddon is a chick flick through and through—it’s just wrapped up in a “boys blowing up an asteroid” plot. (Confession time: I love “I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing.” I belt it out along with Steven Tyler every time I come across it on the radio … or on my iPod!)

You would think that after seeing this movie multiple times, the scene with Harry (Willis) and Grace (Tyler) at the end of the movie wouldn’t affect me. You’d be wrong. I still cry every time! In fact, this time I cried from the moment Harry rips out AJ’s air hose until the end of the clips during the credits.

Fun fact: I just learned from Armageddon’s imdb page that J.J. Abrams was one of the writers. No wonder I love it!

Verdict: Keep

2 comments:

  1. I remember hearing that JJ Abrams was involved. :)
    Sarah S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this movie and bawled like a big big cry baby when I first saw it. I was visiting my friend at college, and we watched it with a bunch of her friends whom I had never met. My friend & I were the only ones so affected by it, and I think everybody else thought we were weird.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...