Saturday, November 17, 2012

#83: "A Christmas Wedding"



Stats: 2006. Starring Sara Paulson, Eric Mabius, and Dean Cain. TV-PG.

Background: I taped A Christmas Wedding the night it premiered … but when I sat down to watch it, I only got about 20 minutes in before turning it off. Why? Because it was painfully obvious that Dean Cain was playing the jerk boss rather than a romantic lead or even a nice guy.

You can probably surmise from that introduction that I didn’t seek this movie out! It was part of the Lifetime 12 Days of Christmas set that I just bought.

Plot: Emily (Paulson) and Ben (Mabius) met on Christmas, got engaged on Christmas, and plan to marry on Christmas. But when their wedding is just a few weeks away, Emily’s boss Tucker (Cain) sends her on a business trip. It turns into the trip that never ends, as a business deal delays her departure for home, then a tropical storm hits, and finally her flight is cancelled, which leaves her crossing the country by whatever means possible. Meanwhile, Ben is left to take care of all the last-minute wedding details while wondering if Emily really does want to get married.

Reactions: A Christmas Wedding is … fine. And that just may be the kiss of death for any film. It’s not wonderful, and it’s not so horrible that it’s laughable. It’s just okay. I think one of the main problems with the film is that the characters are too vanilla. Neither Emily nor Ben seems to have a backbone, which allows Tucker to walk all over Emily. But even he isn’t too bad; if Emily would have stood up to him at any point, I’m fairly certain he would have backed down. Then you add in the fact that it’s not very romantic—Paulson and Mabius are barely in any scenes together, and they don’t have much chemistry—and you begin to wonder what the point of this film even is.

I doubt I’ll ever watch it again, but for now I’ll keep the collection together…

Verdict: Keep with reservations

4 comments:

  1. I may have seen this last Christmas...I can't remember. But the cover looks like something from 1986, not 2006! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I did see this one! I read the part about the "trip that never ends" and it all came back to me! I remember laughing at this one last year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're getting weak! Don't let the collection stop you from getting rid of an uninteresting movie! You could microwave the disk! You could have a tiny shiny frisbee! You could etch Dean Cane's face into it and have a shiny portait of Superman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right; I am weak! But it's not taking up any extra space ...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...