Monday, September 28, 2009

#20 "Charade" (1963)

Stats: 1963. Starring Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Walter Matthau. Not Rated.

Background: I first watched this movie while in junior high or high school when I checked it out of our local library. I loved it, but it traumatized my little sister … it contains a few murders, and while the viewer never sees the murders happen, the dead bodies are shown. I don’t think she's ever looked at plastic wrap the same way!

I’ve watched Charade six or seven times over the years, and I got it on dvd a few years ago. I just realized today that my dvd contains a 1953 movie also called Charade, so I guess I’ll be watching that next! (From looking at its imdb page, I don’t think it’s at all connected to this Charade, but I guess I’ll find out!) 

In 2002, The Truth About Charlie, a remake starring Mark Wahlberg and Thandie Newton, came out. I was excited until I actually saw it. Seven years later, I don’t remember anything about the movie except that I didn’t like it!

Reactions: I’d forgotten how funny this movie is! It’s a suspense film with lots of twists and turns, but it also contains many humorous lines—including a reference to Hepburn’s My Fair Lady! (Charade was released the year before My Fair Lady, so it may just be coincidence, but it’s still an amusing line.)

My favorite line from today’s rewatch: “I hope we have a lot of boys; we can name them all after you.” The line won’t make sense if you haven’t seen the movie, so go here to watch it free!

Verdict: Keep

3 comments:

  1. I think I'm getting this movie confused with another old suspenseful one. But I do remember that I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched it online. thanks for the link. It was good, but probably not one I'll watch again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, are you confusing it with Wait Until Dark? It's suspenseful and also stars Audrey Hepburn. I think we watched it together either before or after Grace's com department put it on as a Fall play.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...