Sunday, September 20, 2009

#19 "Brian's Song"

Stats: 2001. Starring Sean Maher, Mekhi Phifer, Paula Cale. Not Rated. Based on a true story.

Background: The first time I watched Brian’s Song, I cried through the last 20 minutes. My youngest sister watched it with me, and she looked at me like I’d lost my mind!

This is a remake of the beloved 1971 TV movie starring James Caan and Billy Dee Williams. I’ve never seen the original, so I can’t speak to any of the claims that this movie is far inferior to the original. If that’s the case, though, the original must be spectacular!

Reactions: Maher and Phifer knock this out of the park! (Since it’s a football movie, maybe I should say they score a touchdown?) The two actors portray Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers, Chicago Bears teammates competing for the same starting job. At first, the two merely put up with each other; when Gale suffers a season-ending injury, Brian helps him get back in shape, and the two become close friends. Later, as Brian faces cancer, Gale is there every step of the way.

In the interest of full disclosure, I must warn you about the incredibly cheesy death scene in which Piccolo’s spirit (perhaps … not quite sure …) runs toward the goal line on a football field. It’s as bad as it sounds, but the rest of the movie is so good that you have to forgive the ending. (Besides, I’m always crying so hard at this point that I can’t see very well, anyway!)

I love this movie. It’s not one of those you can watch any time—I only watch it when I’m in the mood for a good cry; I know there’s no way I’ll be able to avoid crying when watching it!

Verdict: Keep

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...