Friday, February 22, 2013

#86 "The Four Feathers"

Stats: 2002. Starring Heath Ledger, Wes Bentley, Kate Hudson. PG-13.

Background: Several years ago, I checked The Four Feathers out from the public library and watched it with my sister. I really enjoyed it, so when I found it for less than $5 on Amazon, I didn't hesitate to pick it up.

Plot: When Harry (Ledger) resigns his commission in the British Army upon the announcement that his regiment will be sent to the Sudan, three of his best friends and his fiancée (Hudson) give him white feathers symbolizing cowardice. He later learns that his former regiment has come under attack, so he heads to Sudan to rescue his friends and return the feathers.

Reactions: I’m going to be honest: I did fall asleep in the first 30 minutes of the film. But once Harry got to the Sudan, I was hooked. Basically all I remembered of the movie was that Harry got white feathers for cowardice, and he went after his friends to redeem himself. I think my absolute favorite aspect of the film this time around was something I only vaguely remember from my first viewing several years ago: Harry’s relationship with Abou Fatma (Djimon Hounsou), the mercenary who puts Harry under his protection.

I really enjoyed The Four Feathers. You have to be in the right mood for it (let’s be honest—normally I’m in the mood for a rom-com), but it really is a wonderful film. 

Verdict: Keep

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...