Monday, August 31, 2009

#10 "An American Tail"

Stats: 1986. Starring Phillip Glasser, Dom DeLuise, Christopher Plummer. G. Animated.

Background: I was vaguely aware of this movie when it was released, but as my family didn’t really go to movies or rent videos, I didn’t see it until 1999. I was living with my grandparents at the time, and I checked it out from the local library and watched it with my grandpa. I finally bought this about a year ago after having it on my Amazon wish list for a couple years.

Reactions: An American Tail may not be as flashy as the Disney animated films of the era, but it’s still wonderful. From the score (you can’t go wrong with James Horner) to the songs (“Somewhere Out There” is so sweet, and “There Are No Cats in America” rivals Disney songs for catchy singability) to the references for grownups (The Brothers Karamazov is Fievel’s favorite book), this movie makes me smile.

Verdict: Keep

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...